3 people injured and 5 people displaced following Peterborough townhouse fire

Three people were injured after a structural fire in Peter Robinson Townhouses on George Street in Peterborough early Wednesday morning (May 25).

Platoon leader Don Broersma said firefighters arrived to a fully engulfed fire and crews were quickly able to stop the fire from spreading to the lower unit.

However, the bottom unit suffered water damage.

Broersma says five people have been moved while three people have been treated and released from Peterborough Regional Health Center after being injured in the fire.

the Peter Robinson Townhouses are still without power after Saturday’s storm, but Broersma says he can’t say whether or not the cause was related to burning candles. He says more information could be made available once Peterborough fire prevention officers complete their investigation.

Earlier Wednesday morning (May 25), Peterborough Fire Services reminded residents on social media that a candle is an open flame, meaning it can easily ignite anything that can burn.

They also reminded residents to use fuel generators outdoors and away from open windows, as they can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, fires and other harmful hazards.

Estimated damage from Tuesday night’s fire is $250,000.

Correction: An earlier version of this article identified the scene of the fire as Robinson Place.