Dallas apartment complex ordered to make repairs months after damaging fire

A kitchen fire nearly months ago created a safety hazard that a family in Dallas continues to face to this day.

The city is now taking action after FOX 4 News intervened.

The kitchen in a 60-year-old woman’s apartment caught fire while she was sleeping on August 3. Almost three months later, almost nothing has been fixed by the resort.

Jimmie Hiners says something told him to stay at his mother’s apartment in Mountain Creek that night. He woke up in a smoky apartment.

“So I get up like, ‘Mom! Get out of the apartment! The apartment on fire!'”, He recalls.

Dallas Fire-Rescue responded, but Hiners said the adrenaline got the better of it and that he had already turned it off himself. He thinks it was an electrical fire that started in their stove. But even if he says maintenance brought in a new stove and fixed the electrical issues, that’s about it.

“This take right here, this take is already melted. But it’s a live take,” he said.

The walls are charred. There is a hole behind the stove which exposes the wiring. You can see where a smoke detector was.

“I’m worried about her. Her condition,” Hiners said.

Maintenance removed some of the damaged cabinets. But almost three months later, they have not been replaced.

“You have to be more attentive to your residents,” Hiners said.

Mountain Creek is owned by Odin Properties. This is the same group that owns Highland Hills Apartments across the street, where a building exploded last month in a shooting that police say caused a gas leak. Investigators say it wasn’t the resort’s fault.

Dallas apartment explosion: man accused of shooting and damaging gas line

However, tenants contacted FOX 4, reporting unlivable living conditions in the complex. We have been calling and emailing Odin Properties for several weeks.

Management at the rental desk declined to comment in person on Monday. When we returned on Tuesday to inquire about Hiners’ situation, the rental office door was locked even though there were people inside.

Hiners’ mother wonders where to go from here.

Dallas firefighters said they were very taken aback by what they saw. After FOX 4 contacted them, they formally instructed the resort to make repairs immediately.

Hiners wonders what would have happened to his parents the night of the fire if he hadn’t been there.

“But I’m saying God works in a mysterious way because I was actually there in the living room,” he said.

Source link