BURLINGTON – A windy Saturday opened the Pioneer Village Festival in Burlington this past weekend. Guests were unaffected by the elements as the buildings all provided interest and refuge. A pie-eating contest and coffee at the Eureka school also kept visitors warm.
Food trucks, children’s activities, basket weaving and tractor displays were some of the other highlights of the festival. Dressing in keeping with the 1950s was encouraged. The event was free to the public.
All the buildings in the pioneer village are full of interest and intrigue
The Samuelson House is fully furnished and a time capsule depicting the 1920s era in Minot. He had several moves for an old house. The Samuelson family bought the house in 1921. John Samuelson opened the Samuelson Shoe and Harness store, now Off The Vine, in downtown Minot.
Originally built and located where the Milton Young Towers stand today, the house was moved and spent over 40 years at the North Dakota State Fairgrounds.
The newest addition to Pioneer Village is a renovated 100-year-old schoolhouse that holds the military history of local families in the area.
The Pioneer Museum has received funding and will soon begin construction of a large multi-purpose storage building for classic cars, tractors and other museum treasures. There are other plans for the future.
August 6-7 is the annual Car and Tractor Show and Flea Market at Pioneer Village.
Pioneer Village is open Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information on volunteering or to become a member, contact the Ward County Historical Society at 839-0785.