South Lubbock apartment fire leaves more than a dozen homeless | KLBK | KAMC

LUBBOCK, Texas – Lubbock Fire Rescue responded to a call early Wednesday morning for a construction fire. No one was injured, but a dozen people lost their homes.

Myra Getter lives in the apartment complex and was coming out of work when her roommate told her their apartment building had caught fire.

“She was sleeping and the firefighters were knocking on her door,” Getter said. “They told her they had to check the apartment for carbon monoxide poisoning… then they sent her to the EMT, to paramedics, whatever. And they looked at her.

Firefighters were able to contain the flames to the second floor and prevent the entire building from being completely engulfed. Hours after the flames were out, Getter and his roommate were without power.

“We haven’t had electricity all morning. I still don’t have the power. I have to call the apartment manager and figure out what’s going on, ”Getter said.

Jerri Beth Dunlap, head of the Southern Plains Red Cross Disaster Program, said she, along with other volunteers, stepped in to help those who lost their homes completely to the blaze.

“At around 3 am this morning we got a call from dispatch saying there was a multi-family fire in the apartments,” Dunlap said. “And then we and my volunteers all responded. From what we know, there are currently around 11 adults and around five children.

Taren Perkins of Lubbock Fire Rescue says they know what started the fire.

“The cause of the fire was actually improperly discarded smoking materials,” Perkins said. “So the cigarette butts were properly thrown away. And so part of it got out and it started a fire with the apartment complex. ”

Source link